What Happens if I Don’t Apply for the EU Settlement Scheme? | C&D Recruitment

What Happens if I Don’t Apply for the EU Settlement Scheme? | C&D Recruitment

 19 Feb 2020

It is estimated that 3 million EU citizens in the UK are yet to apply for settled status. With the deadline set on 30th June 2021, anyone who does not apply successfully for a post-Brexit status will be an unlawful resident in the UK. The details of what will happen to you are, so far, unclear. However, the most likely worst-case scenario is for the government to remove you from the UK.

The Home Office has said that people who miss the deadline for “a good reason” will still be able to apply. However, any examples of what constitutes a good reason have not been defined.


Who Should Apply for the EU Settlement Scheme?

The only people who do not need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme are those who have indefinite leave to enter the UK, indefinite leave to remain in the UK or have British or Irish citizenship including ‘dual citizenship’.

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you moved to the UK before it joined the EU, you must apply if you do not have indefinite leave to remain. If you have this, you will usually have a stamp in your passport or a letter from the Home Office specifying this.

You also need not apply if you are a ‘frontier worker’ – someone who lives in one country but who regularly travels to work in another. Frontier worker family members will need to apply here.

The only other people who do not need to apply are those who are exempt from immigration control. Examples of people granted this are foreign diplomats posted in the UK and members of NATO unless you stop being exempt.


Everyone Else

Will need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme where you will obtain pre-settled or settled status before the 30th June 2021.


What you Need to Apply

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you will need a valid passport or national identity card and be able to provide a digital photo of your face. If you’re not, you will need either a valid passport, biometric residence card or biometric residence permit. See the list of locations offering biometric ID document scanning here. If you don’t have any of these, you may be able to use other evidence in certain situations. You will need to contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre if you do not have any of these identity documents.


More Information

C&D are happy to assist anyone wanting more information regarding EU Settled Status. Call us now or contact us today for more information whether you are just visiting our site, are a business owner looking for information on how Brexit will affect you, an existing candidate or client.


How to Apply:

Follow this link to begin your free application for EU Settled Status: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families 


EU Settlement Scheme application simplified! https://www.qredible.co.uk/b/applying-eu-settlement-scheme/
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2020 06:02 by Adam Young
Hi, Admin How To Check Your Settled Status? https://www.qredible.co.uk/b/check-settled-status/ #uk #solicitor #qredible
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2020 13:45 by anshul sharma

Post Comment